The warrants, surveys, and other documents associated with each land grant were stored in envelopes called “shucks”, and that name is often given to this collection. Images for almost 40% of the 216,000 shucks are available for free online at nclandgrants.com, and are easily found when viewing that grant. Another 28% have been funded and are being digitized. Our goal is to make all of those images available for free on nclandgrants.com, and we need your help to fund the remaining 32%.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DONATIONS – Please read:
- If you wish to donate money for obtaining shucks and don’t care about which county, you do not need to fill out the form and can just donate. See “If the County Does Not Matter” below.
- If you wish to donate money for obtaining shucks for specific counties, first check here to make sure they have not already been funded. Then fill out the “If You Want to Donate for a Specific County” form below. Indicate the number of reels for each county, and we will contact you once we make sure we don’t already have them. You don’t need to donate enough for all the reels for a county – just contribute whatever you can and any amount will be appreciated. Each reel cost $16 to digitize.
- If you are donating money, you will not receive the actual images – they will become the property of NCHRO. They will be available to everyone online for free.
- If you already have DVDs of shucks for a county that we can copy, or wish to purchase them for yourself directly from the State Archives on NC and then let us copy them, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can determine the best way to handle that. To purchase them see https://archives.ncdcr.gov/researchers/services/ordering-copies . Please note there are extra fees for out of state residents.
- Unless you tell us otherwise, your name will appear under any image you purchased, and also on a page with a list of contributors.
- Although you can find these images if you have a FamilySearch account (free), they are just the images only with no searchable text, and are not linked to the grants. This makes finding the correct ones a time-consuming project.
If the County Does Not Matter to You . . .
Simply contribute any amount and we will determine the best county or counties to purchase. NC Historical Records Online is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and any contributions are deductible as allowed by your specific tax situation. You will receive nothing of value from us for this contribution.NC Land Grants shucks – any county
You may also send a check to:
NC Historical Records Online
102 Brimmer Court
Cary, NC 27518
Please write “shucks” in the memo of your check, and indicate if you wish to remain anonymous