The warrants, surveys, and other documents associated with each land grant were stored in envelopes called “shucks”, and that name is often given to this collection. Images for almost 60% of the 216,000 shucks are available for free online at nclandgrants.com, and are easily found when viewing that grant. Digitization can only be performed by the State Archives of NC who charges $16 per reel. All the other work involved with putting the images online and running the free website is done by volunteers in our organization.
WE ARE ALMOST DONE! We applied the recent donations along with all the “county doesn’t matter” ones, and there are now only 6 counties remaining with 5 reels each – only $80 to complete a county!
Here is what is needed:
If You Want to Help and the County Does Not Matter to You …
Simply contribute any amount and we will determine the best county or counties to purchase. NC Historical Records Online is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and any contributions may be deductible as allowed by your specific tax situation. You will not receive the actual images or any other good or services in exchange for this donation. The images are public domain, and will be available for anyone to view.NC Land Grants shucks – any county
You may also send a check to:
NC Historical Records Online
102 Brimmer Court
Cary, NC 27518
Please write “shucks” in the memo of your check, and indicate if you wish to remain anonymous
If You Want to Fund All of Part of a Specific County or Counties . . .
- If you wish to donate money for obtaining shucks for specific counties, first check the above list of what is needed to make sure they have not already been funded. Then fill out the “If You Want to Donate for a Specific County” form below. Indicate the number of reels for each county, and we will contact you once we make sure we don’t already have them. You don’t need to donate enough for all the reels for a county – just contribute whatever you can and any amount will be appreciated. Each reel cost $16 to digitize.
- If you are donating money, you will not receive the actual images – they will become the property of NCHRO. They will be available to everyone online for free.
- If you already have DVDs of shucks for a county that we can copy, or wish to purchase them for yourself directly from the State Archives on NC and then let us copy them, please contact us at email@example.com so we can determine the best way to handle that. To purchase them see https://archives.ncdcr.gov/researchers/services/ordering-copies . Please note there are extra fees for out of state residents.
- Unless you tell us otherwise, your name will appear under any image you purchased, and also on a page with a list of contributors.
- Although you can find these images if you have a FamilySearch account (free), they are just the images only with no searchable text, and are not linked to the grants. This makes finding the correct ones a time-consuming project.
This form is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later.